Sunday, December 18, 2011

Vehicle Blues - 177


Genre: Shoegaze, Bedroom Pop, Real Loner Shit

Sounds like: Nothing else out there


Some things in life are obvious, or at least they seem that way in retrospect. When watching late night infomercials or seeing “As Seen On TV” products on department store shelves, I stop and wonder why I didn’t invent them. They seem so simple and so obvious. But if so, then why am I sitting here writing about music instead of raking in the Benjamins? I think the idea behind this is a phenomenon in psychology called Hindsight Bias, which explains that people have a tendency to overestimate their ability to predict the outcome of an event after being exposed to the outcome.

For me, Gabe Holcombe provides another source of hindsight bias. I find myself wanting to hit my forehead in frustration when listening to music he produces as Vehicle Blues. That’s so simple, why didn’t I think of that?! Though in reality, Holcombe’s music is far from simple. It’s easy to confuse perfection with simplicity, and that’s exactly what Holcombe creates: perfection. He’s a master of parsimonious bedroom pop. His music is neither too flashy nor bland, and every detail makes perfect sense. Take 177 for example: Though I don’t know a single lyric to this song, it resonates a feeling of hopelessness to which I can relate. I have felt the feelings that I imagine influenced this song. And it’s hard to imagine that something with such unambiguous meaning didn’t originate from my own mind, but it didn’t. It didn’t because I am not Gabe Holcombe and I’ll never be able to write music as perfect as his. And that’s when the feeling of hopelessness sets in.


Note: If this is your first time hearing Vehicle Blues, then I feel a little sorry for you because all of his amazing Bridgetown Records releases (e.g., Koz Park) are sold out. If you dig 177, you can find it on his split with Jen Paul/No Lakes released on his very own Lillerne Tapes. While you're at it, you should also try to pick up a copy of his split with Trudgers as it’s also a gem!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said... Vehicle Blues has been easily the best thing I have heard in a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic write-up.
    Vehicle Blues is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know
    it's all the way
    so wait
    oh my way
    fly away
    all day long
    fly away
    for a ride
    to go clear oh
    all this way

    inside
    in your way
    take you
    for a day
    i wait
    fall in bed
    all you know
    waste
    all you feel is
    all a waste

    ReplyDelete