Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Koyla - Self Titled


Genre: Late 90's Emo
For Fans Of: Sinaloa, Small Brown Bike, I Hate Myself


Its been bugging me for a while now, but I can't remember how I ended up with this album. Through some way years ago this ended up on my hard drive, I still cannot figure it out. This band is also a giant mystery itself since very little information is on the internet (links if you got them!) about them.

Koyla had some great things going for them: multiple vocalists with lyrics that end up sound like a free verse poetry jam, and guitars that shift between choppy and melodic every other measure. But what separates them from other bands that came out of the late 90's (or the huge influx of bands that are trying to emulate it currently) is how intentional everything is. For being a three piece, they do a fantastic job of making the vocals and instrumentation feel like they have purpose, making the songs sound whole and complete. Although not much material to listen to from them, (this album and a couple 7 inches) they have that "this album is so good and self contained that I am completely content not having anything else" vibe.

Although they do have some vocals that might turn some people away, listen to "Astronaut" before deciding anything. Do it.

Also, I could of found a better picture, but nothing beats the bass player staring into oblivion photograph.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment